COVID-19 Announcement & Information
As of May 5, 2020
Please be sure to see updated Cancellation Policy below ↓
As spring sets into the Wrangells, the KWG family is healthy, hunkered down and keeping a close eye on the ever-changing uncertainty of the COVID-19 situation. As with most small businesses throughout the country right now, we have been spending a lot of time weighing the safety and ethics of operating this season.
Based on the current health guidelines, as well as Alaska State Mandates, we have chosen to cancel all of our May and June trips, with the hopes that we can begin
operating to some capacity no earlier than July 1.
We have always been proud of our adaptability and problem-solving skills. Whether during the trip planning process, dealing with last minute logistics, or on the ground guiding, when faced with difficult situations our first response is always to take a moment to gain more information before making any decisions.
Currently we’re assessing the operational complexities and changes that we will have to be make in order to adhere with best practice standards in a COVID-19 environment. We have been a part of many different conversations with industry leaders, other local businesses, the National Park service, our physician advisor of record, and many others. The continued messaging is that there is no easy answer at this point.
We are extremely lucky to call the Wrangells our home. In addition to the incredible wild landscape, we are part of a truly special remote community. Our connection to
that community, coupled with the joy of sharing this place with each of you who makes the effort to come visit is what keeps us rooted in our mission. We will only choose to operate this season if we’re confident we can do so without creating unnecessary risk to our guests, staff, or community.
In the meantime, keep dreaming big wild dreams. Wrangell-St. Elias National Park isn’t going anywhere, and neither is KWG. We will keep you posted with details and information as we decide how to best proceed. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.
All our best,
Betsy, Jared and Monte & the rest of the KWG staff
Updated 2020 Cancellation Policy
We will honor this policy for all trips booked for summer 2020 regardless of the booking date.
- A cancellation made more than 48 hours prior to departure receives a 90% refund of deposit.
- Cancellations made between 48 hours and 24 hours of departure receives 50% refund of deposit.
- Cancellations within 24 hours receive no refund of deposit.
- A cancellation made up to 7 days of your trip’s departure date receives a full refund of deposit, minus a $300 fee for trip planning.
- Cancellations made less than 7 days prior to departure receive 50% of deposit.
- There is no refund of deposits for cancellations made less than 48 hours prior to your departure.
Additional addendum for ALL trips that cancel this year:
- If you chose to cancel your 2020 trip or KWG has to cancel your trip, we encourage you to use your 2020 deposit towards a trip in 2021 or 2022 at a locked in at your 2020 price with no additional fees.
- If you don’t wish to reschedule your trip, you will receive a 90% refund of deposit for Day Trips, and a full refund of deposit, minus a $300 fee, for Multi-day Trips.
- The above cancellation policy will apply to reservations transferred to 2021 & 2022.
- KWG would be happy to help re-plan and/or re-book the logistics of your 2021 or 2022 trip at no additional cost.