What better way to see the vast Alaskan landscape then to immerse yourself in the heart of it. This package trip is for the traveller that is looking to join a group for a mix of multi-sport adventures in the heart of the Wrangell St Elias National Park. We have taken care of the transportation and lodging, as well as planning a solid daily itinerary, so you don’t have to spend your time working out all of the logistics.
Once you arrive in McCarthy, get ready for an action packed week. We will start by hiking along a powerful glacial lake and exploring the flat water, rapids, and active glacier faces with our packrafts. This is a great chance to learn more about the sport and develop a set of skills you can take with you on your next river adventure. In addition to learning new skills, and enjoying some rapids, we will also strike out on the boats to see if we can find any ice caves or other dynamic glacial features.
Next on the agenda will be to strike out for the backcountry of the Kennicott Valley. Along the way, we will stop and spend a day ice climbing on the Root Glacier. Our guides will show you the skills and techniques needed, and you will get a chance to more then tire yourself out from a full day of climbing. We will start the day with easier walls, and move on to the more advanced so you can see your skills progress.
We finish the trip with 4 nights/5 days of backpacking. The terrain will be rugged and with very few trails, giving you the chance to explore the true wilderness of Alaska. There are 3 camp locations that we will plan on staying at, but can be flexible to the group’s needs. We also have a built in day hike, so we can forget the burden of our heavy packs and go off and explore. KWG will take care of all the food planning and cooking, so you can just enjoy your time in the mountains.
You will have one more night at your lodging in McCarthy to let loose and have some fun out on the town after the trip. We will head back to Anchorage the next morning and will hope to see you back again for another adventure.
June 14 – 21
August 18 – 25
What is included in the package?
- Round trip van transportation from Anchorage to McCarthy and back
- 3 nights lodging in McCarthy.
- All food in McCarthy/Kennicott except 1 dinner
- All technical packrafting and ice climbing gear.
- Tent, Sleeping bag/pad, stove, and group camping gear.
- 2 guides with all safety equipment and SAT phone.
What is not included in the package?
- Air travel to Anchorage.
- Airport shuttles, accommodation, and food in Anchorage.
- Lunch along the way while on the road to and from Anchorage (we will stop for you to buy your own lunch)
- 1 night’s dinner in McCarthy after the trip (see itinerary for details)
- 65+ L Backpacks suitable for backpacking (contact us if this is a problem, as we have a few, but they will only be available on first come, first serve with no guarantee of available sizes).
- Personal wet weather gear, clothing/layers, hiking boots
- Personal mess kit (bowl or fairshare mug, cutlery, mugs)
Join a group to experience different sports for ultimate variety. Learn to packraft and Ice climbing, as well as go on a world class backpacking trip. Set departures that include lodging and round trip transportation from Anchorage means you don’t have to worry about all the logistics.
Terrain Challenges May Include:
Hiking over uneven terrain with a heavy pack, exposure to cold water while packrafting, use of crampons and ice axes with a heavy pack, need to carry a pack up to 40 – 45 lbs